My tips for exploring the island of St Lucia
- Don’t rent a car. We rented a car to drive the whole island and sight see for a day. These vehicles are crap and have a good chance of breaking down especially on the windy uphill roads of St Lucia. Our friends broke down hours from the resort with little help from the rental company. They got no refund and had wasted a day of their vacation. Hire a driver instead of renting a car or booking an excursion. Pre plan the places you want to go and have the driver take you.
- Don’t go to every tourist attraction. Research what you want to see ahead of time. You will pay to see everything other than the Pitons. There is a nice place to stop along the highway to take photos of them. For me paying to see a waterfall when there are nicer ones where I live wasn’t worth it. Pre planning is a must because the tourist attractions aren’t all close together.
- Don’t pay for the tour at Sulphur Springs. Anything they tell you on this super short tour can be read online beforehand. There is a free spot to look and take photos. The view is pretty well the same as the one you get on the tour.
- Don’t skip the mud bath at Sulphur Springs. It’s a hot bath heated by the volcano where you rub the mud all over your body and let it sit for a few minutes before washing it off. They say the mud cures skin conditions and aching muscles. Your skin will feel super soft after rinsing off. Make sure you don’t wear any jewelry or it will turn orange (I know from experience).
- Don’t just stay on the resort. It’s a beautiful little island to explore. I suggest checking out Rodney Bay on the Caribbean side of the island. There is a nice shopping center and an amazing local beach.